Saturday, February 4, 2017

February Counterfeit Kit Challenge

Hello all!!

To start off: a little honesty session. I think it's high time I acknowledge that I'm a terrible blogger. Every 6 months-ish I think to myself, "Hey, I really should get back into blogging," and then I try it a few times and then give up again. The fact of the matter is, I find it incredibly tedious. Mostly because I hate the photo processing...er, process. Downloading, editing, uploading....etc, etc. So I have found that I much prefer the near lack of photo processing required to regularly post on Instagram. Which brings me to my actual point: I would love it if you would follow me over on Instagram. =) I try to post something there every day, generally with some success. I'm only going to post on this blog when I have a project that requires more photos or more wordiness from me, and there will be a corresponding post on Instagram any time I post here. I also find that it is much easier to interact with others there as the commenting process is much more streamlined and makes it simpler to find people. So, I look forward to connecting with you there! =)

On to this post: I'm very excited to be getting back into doing some scrapbooking kits with the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog. I did a few months at the beginning of last year but then got side-tracked with summer classes and then the holidays, so it's great to be doing this again. I love the process of going through my stash and finding great stuff that I forgot I had. This month's kit in particular has some real oldies that I'm excited to get out into the light of day. But first....the inspiration kit:

Find the original kit here


I love how different this kit is. It feels slightly monochromatic with all the pale cool tones and simple black and white. It also presented a great challenge for counterfeiting because I couldn't think of any obvious similar products that I had, so I really had to go digging. I focused on trying to find purple, mint green and navy as well as small florals and polka dots for patterns to try to get something similar in feel to the original kit. Here's what I came up with:



 There are a few goals I've set for myself with this kit:

  • I wanted to make sure and include a 6x6 pad, because I have way too many of these and they need to get used. This also gives me more opportunity to do some cardmaking with the kit. 
  • I also wanted to include at least one stamp set and some coordinating inks to make sure my stamps and inks are getting some love. 
  • I have so many mists and paints that don't get used, so I made sure to pick out a matching one for this kit. 
  • I want to include punches or other tools in this and future kits, so that these are getting used as well. Plus they make it so easy to make your own embellishments! 
I think I managed to check off all my goals with this kit. Here are some details:



Here you can see just the papers. Along with the original kit there were some lovely coordinating cardstocks which featured a surprising pop of yellow. Initially I didn't think I would include that in my kit but I found a pretty solid yellow paper and a pattern with a bit of yellow in it that I fell in love with so yellow made it's way into the kit after all. =) That patterned vellum has the most interesting embossed texture. It feels almost rubbery...I'm glad I found this piece buried with some other patterned papers.




There were lots of label shapes in the original kit as well as some hexagon die-cuts in an embellishment kit so I was happy to find these pieces which can be colorized...possibly with this mint-colored mist or I may use some other inks if need be. I also love these washi tapes with their small-scale patterns.




I've been known to forget alphabets for my kits...but not this time!! =) I was surprised by how many I had in colors that matched the kit. It will be nice to get some use out of these.




Here are the stamp sets I chose...again I went with some label shapes so I can make some custom label die-cuts using the stamps and the coordinating inks I chose. I picked some chalk inks because I think the lovely soft effect will go nicely with the feel of this kit. Not sure how much use I will get out of the ombre ink pad since it's a bit dark, but I haven't used it yet so I'm excited to try it!




And here she is all packed away into an Iris container. You gotta love these containers. They are perfect for kits!

Thanks for reading! I have plans for some forgeries I want to try so I may have one other post here for that this month....otherwise I will be posting my projects with this kit over on Instagram! Hope to see you there! =)

*~M~*

6 comments:

  1. This kit is really pretty. I'm eager to see how you employ the ombre stamp pad. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely kit and I agree with your goals and have been trying to do the same with my kits too adding specific items to get them atleast used a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty kit, you did a great job of staying true to the original kit. Looking forward to seeing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo! This is truly beautiful. I'm keeping my eye on the link up for your creations! Glad you are back :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Mary. I love this kit (it's my favourite so far) as it really captures the soft, spring feel I was looking for when I chose it as our inspiration kit for this month. It's beautiful.

    I understand totally how difficult blogging can be in such a time demanding world, so I'll be popping over to Instagram to follow. I'm @obstinatepursuit x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you chose to blog this month and I enjoyed reading your process. A couple of years back I used very similar guidelines for my kits. This year, I have minimalized my approach to CKC, although I still L-O-V-E to build kits. Now my kit building is done vicariously.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to comment. I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement! =)

Followers