Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mother LOAD, Day 1

It's Day 1 of the Mother LOAD scrapbooking marathon! (See button on the right.) For nine weeks I've been diligently (ha!) training for a 26 day layout-a-day marathon, and today is the first day of the "run". I was exhausted after work today, but more than that I was determined to not fall behind on the first day so I knew I needed to get a layout done. In typical me fashion I didn't have a plan, so I just meandered through my photo files until I found a photo that inspired me. I found a great one of my cousin on her wedding day, and here's the layout I came up with:




(I apologize for the less than beautiful photos. I was taking these at night and had only an Ott-Lite for lighting.)

The design of this page was inspired by Shimelle's Sketch of the Week, and ironically, it's wedding week over on her blog this week. This is my first time doing a Sketch of the Week despite the fact that I've been a big fan for a while.
This layout kind of cracks me up because all of the pieces are from different companies. The background sheet is Crate Paper (Emma's Shoppe), the patterned piece is DCWV (Linen Closet), the dimensional flower is Studio Calico, the small flower is Basic Grey, the journaling block is Jenni Bowlin, the strip is October Afternoon, the letters are Grungeboard and the ticket is Idea-ology. (I guess Tim Holtz is the winner here, because I used two of his products plus some Antique Linen Distress Ink. =P )
My proudest achievement on this layout is the "lace" in the middle. For one thing, it turned out beautifully, and again, the photos can't really do it justice:



It started out as a lowly strip of white cardstock, and then I punched it on both sides with a Martha Stewart border punch. Then I aged it with some Antique Linen Distress Ink and sprayed it with Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist to give it some shimmer. It turned out exactly how I wanted it to. Also, putting this strip in the center allowed me to make use of this brown patterned paper behind the photo. I was totally in love with this piece of paper, but it was only 8x8. So I had the genius (if I do say so myself =P ) idea of cutting it and putting the lace in between the pieces, and suddenly it was the perfect size! I love it when a plan comes together. =)
I couldn't get a good photo of the letters, but they were just painted pink with some acrylic paint I had lying around, and then "whitewashed" with the new Picket Fence Distress Stain. This is precisely why I bought this product. It muted the paint beautifully so that the letters had the perfect look for this layout. If you like doing anything shabby/vintage, you NEED this stuff.

Thanks for looking! Wish me luck with the rest of LOAD! Ack!

*~M~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to comment. I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement! =)

Followers